Sunday, May 20, 2007

Shock and Uh



This is the next step in the evolution of the LMB ads. From its humble beginnings of primary-color clip-art, LMB has taken a long and winding road to reach the movie-like real-life video you see now. It has been a weird and wondrous journey; and this ad ratchets 'weird' up to 11.

Strangely enough, the expression on the woman's face is quite like the expression most viewers get on seeing this ad for the first time. With the head in their hands, they try to grasp what the woman could be advertising with her horror-movie gape. Could it be the two star rating her mortgage has, conveniently displayed to the right?

Or could it be an Escherian twist, whereupon she sees the LMB ad of herself, and realizes what a horrible ad she is stuck in, and turns to the camera in despair, and the camera captures her reaction, and puts it in an ad, which she sees, and realizes what a horrible...

far out, man.

8 Comments:

Blogger highway163 said...

I've been waiting to hear your thoughts on these ads! They are so annoying and yet so compelling. I've literally clicked to see them again on a number of occasions, just to confirm that, yes, this is the most obnoxious ad campaign I've seen since I first caught "Head On" on CNN.

What intrigues me most is that I've seen these faux videos selling both "low interest rate" products and one year "degree" pitches. What's up with that?

5/23/2007 1:06 PM  
Blogger dev2r said...

I've noticed those too. Either a Nextag style beatdown is on the way, or this ad has become a genre by itself to be sold to the highest bidder... the horror!

5/23/2007 7:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nah no NexTag beatdown. They are sisters under the Experian umbrella. I guess it's just cheaper to just change the text over the videos.

6/04/2007 12:22 PM  
Blogger E-Nyce said...

I am so glad that I found your site! I wanted to know what's behind this latest marketing psychosis.

If you go to the news site, e.g. http://allafrica.com/stories/200706111338.html, you'll see another of the LMB ads. What's up with the latest fetish with black girls?

6/12/2007 7:26 AM  
Blogger dev2r said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6/20/2007 5:19 PM  
Blogger dev2r said...

e-nyce: LMB ads are not restricted to any particular ethnicity. My guess is that each 'phase' of LMB's creations have the same source for stock photos/animations.

eric: That explains it. I vaguely recall seeing the same type in those 'classmates' ads too.

6/20/2007 5:21 PM  
Blogger Na said...

I just HATE LMB ads SO MUCH that I searched for "lowermybills.com horrible" in google. Finding your blog is therapeutic. Gosh, the horror must be stopped. GROWL!!

7/19/2007 4:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I did the exact same thing as Na but I typed lowermybills.com horrible dancers. hah.

7/26/2007 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home